#GivingTuesday: A Good Trend
Did you ever receive an email that says, “If you do not forward the following email to XX amount of people, you will have bad luck?” As the digital world grew in the 90s, this email technique was sent to scare people into giving, forwarding, and exploit their need for connection to others in the new digital world. Why does this work? What Is Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs? Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is a motivational theory in psychology, comprising a five-tier model of human needs, often depicted as hierarchical levels within a pyramid. Needs lower down in the hierarchy must be satisfied before individuals can attend to needs higher up. The most straightforward application of the theory says that doing an act of good like picking up trash on a hiking trail is more satisfying to us when either someone sees us do it or if we tell people about it. The motivation to do morally and socially accepted acts increases when there is a direct link to others. Using the Connection for Good? Social media and the internet create and fulfill the top three tiers of the hierarchy. Self-actualization, esteem and a sense of belonging are created through this connection to stories, people and causes that are visible through this 24/7 media. In the past, charitable giving meant donating goods and time to your favorite local cause. It was writing a check and mailing it to your favorite organization. It was putting your change in the Salvation Army bucket over the holidays, but the world is much greater than your neighborhood, community or town. Thanks to the internet, technology, and social media, your cause could be a world away from your home. Some significant trends in donations that have helped us with true global outreach:
- GoFundMe started in 2010 and has made over 5 Billion dollars in donations to charities.
- Over1 million people created fundraisers or donated, and over 97,000 charitable organizations benefited from Facebook fundraisers.
- In 2014, the ALS Ice Bucket Video Challenge raised $115 Million.
- Can you imagine how much money ALS would have made if DÜZY was around in 2014?
- Do you have a cause you care about? Let DÜZY help.
- Please donate now to the Plastic Pollution Coalition, who uses DÜZY for their cause! Plastic Pollution Coalition is a growing global alliance of more than 1,000 organizations, businesses, and thought leaders in 60 countries working toward a world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impact on humans, animals, waterways, the ocean, and the environment.